Wednesday, July 22, 2009

man on the moon


i havnt had internet for a week or so
and what i missed most was writing
i would think of something and want to blog about it

i guess blogging really works for me...as the thought of writing by hand or doing up a word document just didnt happen.

so late at night when i am a most vulnerable place emotionally and i think about the past or the future or a moment
i am drawn to the keyboard

i think last monday was the 40th anniversary of the first moon landing
i was 17 and out the door that evening to my friends at the local hippie house
maybe do alot of "grokking"

my fathers voice ...english
somewhat authoritarian
ordering me back in to watch the moon walk

now i was opposed politically to the whole space exploration thing...
remember viet nam?
and the astronauts were all military and
f-ing nixon was the president at the time

but i came in and watched the TV
me perched on the edge of the sofa
so i could make my exit asap

so here we are 40 years later
me having become the news junky

and the clips from television at the time
and the names of the men involved
and the memory of that summer evening
bring tears...
missing my father and his love of history in the making
that has become a huge love of mine.

and the loss of more naive times
and being 17 years old on a lovely july evening

3 comments:

  1. Silly fools, us humans, always trying to break down our boundaries. Space? The moon? Yes, it enchants me too, and the stories move me, even though I try to resist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember well watching -- we had very bad t.v. reception where we were, so the television was in the back of someone's car in the rain -- and we were all huddled around it under umbrellas. I was old enough to remember, but too young to really understand...

    I love this post and how you speak of your younger self and your father. My father was a journalist -- so I can relate to this so well :)

    BTW -- I have started a new blog if you want to stop by...it is where I will be posting for the most part.
    http://inanutshelloutoforder.blogspot.com/

    love to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. l like this post as well gilly.
    it's sad, and loving.

    ReplyDelete

 

yasmin