Thursday, May 14, 2009

Dolly-do-along

Hi! It's me, Erika.

I have been following along with the doll steps Gilly laid out for us so far, and have taken some photos documenting a little progress. I was enjoying a nice slow day yesterday, and posted about it on my blog as well. If you're interested, here is the link: erikaoftheisland.blogspot.com

Step 1 - Decide to follow along and make a doll. Pick out some fabric and some thread.



Step 2 - Make a pattern out of an 8 1/2 x 11" piece of paper folded in half.


Step 3 - Trace your pattern onto your fabric. Pin two layers of fabric together with the traced
pattern showing.





Step 4 - Well this is where I may have jumped the queue a little... when I re-read it, I realized it indicates what step 5 might be, but is only eluding to it... and I went ahead andpinned two layers together and stitched around along my traced line... stitching the tiniest possible stitches... so tiny at one point that the stitches could barely be seen, actually, so I went back to a slightly larger stitch...



Here is the tiniest stitches:


Step 4 1/2 - Have a rest and a drink. In my case, it was a latte and a moment gazing out my window at one of the little orange headed finches that lives in a tree out the side of my house.



And then I continued stitching... all the way around until there was about a 2 inch opening left.

Step 5 - It seems this step was to wait for Amy and I to get going on our dolls (you can only imagine the pressure as you're all waiting with baited breath for the next step...) so I apologize for keeping anyone waiting.

The next day, I was over at Gilly's house, and saw her doll in progress, and realized that she had done a SECOND row of stitches very close (mmm... maybe 3/16ths of an inch) around the outside of the first stitched row... so I went home and did what I like to call:

Step 6 - Do two rows of stitching close together along the traced line of your pattern, leaving a small opening (at least 2 inches) along a side or at a straight-ish part of the seam.

Here's what mine looks like at this point:

Thats it so far... and now we wait for Step 7! Have fun!
Back over to you Gilly!

2 comments:

  1. very nice stitching erika, but isn't the easter bunny suppose to be made of chocolate. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! He is indeed! But who says this is a bunny??? We'll just have to see about that now, won't we... the outcome might just depend on the next instruction. My most famous of instructors is notorious for leading his students through a project without idea of where they are headed... and who ever knows what might just come of it? ;)

    ReplyDelete

 

yasmin