Tuesday, March 31, 2009

emily talks about her audition at the apollo theater

I stole this from emily's facebook
forgive me Em
and please enjoy this story from one of my best friends
and check her out
and here is a great review of her live album "view street session"

On Saturday, March 14th, I woke up at 7am, got dressed, grabbed an apple and walked from my apartment on 117th and Manhattan to the Apollo Theater on 125th St. in Harlem.
.
I stepped into my place at the end of the line, which by 8 am extended from the door of the Apollo to halfway around the block. In front of me was a young dancer in sweatpants, nodding her head and inconspicuously practicing her routine. She never took her headphones off. Directly behind me was a proud mom - who coincidently thought I was a dancer, most likely because I kept shaking my legs to keep myself warm. She was there with her daughter, who had recently become part of the chorus in the Broadway production of the Lion King. Oh yes, and there there was a quiet, hilarious, shamelessly self-promoting rapper named Nappy. We all chatted a bit, a few smiles, but mostly we just waited patiently.

I waited outside until 11:30. As we got closer to the door, a few people began to spontaneously bust out with their talents in order to warm up. I was not one of them, by the way! :) There was the occasional gospel number that was powerful enough to make you turn your head to see who would dare. Then there was r&b singer after r&b singer – effortlessly belting out the slick runs from the newest Rihanna, Jennifer Hudson, Beyonce, and Ne-yo hit. I didn’t sound like any of them.

187 was my number. The security guard originally told us they would take in 250, but later word got around that the judges were tough, they hadn’t been impressed thus far and had decided to take in another 100 people.

By noon, there were 350 artists sitting in the mezzanine of the Apollo Theater, mostly young artists, from Harlem, Philly, Georgia, Brooklyn, Jersey, Chicago and yes, Idaho. I can’t explain the energy in that place, only that it was absolutely incredible. I waited until 5:30 to audition, but in spite of the hours and the empty stomach, time flew by. The waiting room itself became a show, a venue, a chance to sharpen your skills for the one of the realest audiences ever. It was all about action, not so much about talk. If you tell someone you can sing, they want to hear it. Right then and there. The sing-off’s , the dance off’s, the clapping and the rapping became a constant conversation collaboration between everybody.

You get 90 seconds to do your thing.

I honestly hadn’t been nervous at all the entire day. I kept assuring myself that I was alright, calling on that quiet confidence that tells me I am just as talented as anyone in the building and have something to offer to music, but lord, when they called that number… OH MY GOD. I got a rush of adrenaline that I haven’t experienced… maybe ever?

I sang “Bye Bye Blackbird.” Mostly because I know it so well and I knew it would stand out. I also chose it in order to feel closer to the legends that are the closest to my heart and had done this very thing in this very place, not so many years before.

Bessie, Billie, Ella, Sarah, Aretha, Lauryn Hill... This was even where Louise Rose auditioned for Duke Ellington. Me?

On the one hand, it was nothing. On the other hand, just by being there and opening my mouth to sing, I felt like I became part of 'it.'

Truthfully, I am nervous for the performance! I ain't gonna lie. I don't know what to sing, what to wear, how to act. At the same time, I am soooo excited. When it comes down to it, I already know what I am made of. I know what I am meant to do. Nothing can stop me. It's that quiet confidence that gets me through. And I am already proud of myself... for believing in myself enough to continue - for making my way to New York, for giving life to an album and honestly, for getting my ass out of bed and heading to the Apollo so damn early in the morning! A huge part of me really doesn't care what the outcome is - now, don't get that twisted, I'm gonna sing my soul out that night!

One of the many things I am learning - and sometimes it feels overwhelming- is that no one else can do this for me. These are my feet, I have to take the steps forward to be in the right place..

And then she said, or rather sang, “Blackbird, come over here.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

yasmin